Instructions on Residence Permits for Short-Term Working Task for Foreigners



Foreigners coming to China for short-term working task refers to those Z-visa holders and stay in China for up to 90 days for the reasons as follows: 

1. Working with Chinese partners to complete a scientific study, a special technology research, supervision of a project, etc.

2. Coming for Coaches or athletes for a trial in Chinese Sport Administrations   

3. Filming a movie documentary or advertisement

4. Fashion shows (car models, print advertisement models and etc.)

5. Foreign-related commercial performance

6. Other works recognized by Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security 


A foreign national who is holding a Z visa with the notice as "required to apply for residence permit within 30 days from the date of entry", meantime the employer or the host organization is registered in, or the first performance venue is in Beijing, then applicant should apply for a residence permit within the term.

1. Valid passport or other international travel documents;

2. Completely filled VISA / STAY PERMIT / RESIDENCE PERMIT APPLICATION FORM with recent half-length, white background, bareheaded, full-faced 2-inch color photo. Please fill in the application form in black ink or sign pen

3. Valid accommodation registration of the applicant provided by the local police station or hotel of present residence.

4. Approval documents and Certificate of Short-term Employment by the Competent Culture authority and Approval for foreigners of foreign performance groups (with name list of members), individuals of short-tern commercial performance.

5. Foreigners coming to China for other short-term work task (for up to 90 days, including 90 days) shall provide Notice of Work Permit issued by Human Resource and Social Security Bureau.


Foreigners can apply for work-type residence permits with validity of 90 days.


1.The applicant shall go through a face-to-face interview. However, for applicants who apply for an extension of residence permit due to disability, or exceptional ability talents qualified as much-needed of the state, the host organization or a particular service agency can submit the application on behalf of the applicant (a copy of the trustee's ID is required). Nonetheless, if the Exit - Entry Administration Department notifies the applicant that an interview is necessary, the applicant must go through the interview personally.

2. Z-visas holders, if the visa validity is 30 days, shall complete their work and stay within the term of validity hereof, in accordance with the a bilingual observation remarked on their Z visa as "Allowed to work only within the period of time indicated in the approval". And such Z visa can not be extended, renewed or replaced by work-type residence permit.   

3. Foreigners, who have already been issued with such short-term work-type residence permit, do not need apply again if their performance is to be transferred to other places in China.

4.  Applicant with Certificate of Short-term Employment, who is to be employed by any organization in China, as long as the Certificate is still valid, they may consult with the Human Resources and Social Security authority about the employment issue. 

5. Foreign nationals of countries of visa mutual exemption with China, who intend to complete short-term tasks in China, shall obtain the Certificate of Short-term Employment before applying for Z visa from the local consulate of China.   

6. For the above-stated materials, the original documents need to be verified, and the photocopies submitted.

7. Any application material in foreign language (except English) should be translated into Chinese. 

8. Applicant who doesn't nullify China's household registration should apply after the cancellation of household registration.  

9. Foreigners under 18 who submit the application for the first time in China shall prepare the Birth Certificate or equivalent document, passports and permanent resident permit of parents and other relative documents as certification of nationality.


1. Where visas held by foreigners specify that foreigners need to apply for residence permits after entry, such foreigners shall, within 30 days from the date of their entry, apply for foreigners' residence permits.

2. Foreigners who apply for the extension of the duration of visa shall file their applications to the exit-entry administration department of public security bureau of the local government over county level at least 7 days prior to the expiry of the validity period on their visa.

3. Foreigners residing in China who apply for the extension of the duration of residence shall file their applications at least 30 days prior to the expiry of the validity period of residence permits.

4. During the period when the applicant's passport or other travel document is under legal custody of the exit-entry authority for the issuance of visa or resident permit, the applicant may, bearing the receipt notice of the application herein, travel and reside legally within the territory of China.

5. The exit and entry administration authority of the public security organ may verify the purpose of application through such means as interview, telephone inquiry and on-the-spot investigation.

6. Decisions made by the exit-entry administration of public security organ on rejecting applications for extension or reissuance of ordinary visa, or on not issuing foreigners' stay or residence permits or not extending the duration of residence shall be final.

The right to interpret this Instruction shall reside in the Exit-Entry Administration Department of Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau.