The residence permit is proof that a foreigner resides in China. Foreign citizens should apply to their local Public Security Bureau's Exit-Entry Administration for their foreigner's residence permit within 30 days of their date of entry.

An application for extension should be submitted 30 days before the expiry of the residence period. If any registration information changes or the certificate is lost or damaged, the holder of the permit should apply for an application for replacement without delay.