If you're a foreigner who take part in a short-term study program in Beijing, you can apply for X2 (short-term study) visa extension or renewal for foreigners by following steps.

1. Valid passport or other international travel documents.

2. VISA / STAY PERMIT / RESIDENCE PERMIT APPLICATION FORM with a recent half-length, white background, bareheaded, front-faced 2-inch color photo.

3. Valid accommodation registration in Beijing.

4. Applicants who apply for extension of stay shall submit a letter of study issued by an education or training institution in Beijing.

5. Applicants who apply for visa renewal shall submit:

  • An application letter issued by an education or training institution in Beijing.

  • An admission or enrollment certificate issued by an education or training institution in Beijing.

  • Applicants who apply for renewal of non-X2 visas shall also submit the Information Form for Foreign Students’ Short-term Visit (Form DQ). When applying again, if the school remains the same, submission can be waived.

Exit and Entry Administration Service Center of Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau: 9:00-17:00 from Mondays to Saturdays (Except statutory holidays)

See the Information on Visa/Stay Permit and Residence Permit Application for the details of the acceptance time and place of each branch office.

  • Timeline for Application
  • Points for Attention
  • Legal Reminders

The application shall be processed within 7 working days upon the submission of complete application materials.

1. Relevant procedures shall be handled by the applicant himself/herself at the exit-entry administration of the public security organs. Any unit or individual that is notified by the exit-entry administration of the public security organs for an interview may not be issued the Visa/Stay Permit and Residence Permit according to the law if they fail to undergo the interview within the agreed time without justifiable reasons. The decision made by the exit-entry administration of the public security organs on rejecting the applications for extension, renewal or reissuance of ordinary visa or on not issuing foreigners’ stay or residence permits or on not extending the duration of residence, shall be final.

2. In case of unknown or conflicting nationalities, relevant nationality identification documents such as foreign passport and the permanent residence permit of the country where the passport is issued, and the naturalization certificate shall be submitted. The applicant, who is under 18 years old and is applying for the first time in China, shall also submit his/her Medical Certificate of Birth or Birth Paper, the passports of his/her parents and the certificate of residence outside China and other documents for nationality determination.

3. The original application materials shall be submitted for verification.

4. Relevant materials in foreign languages shall be translated into Chinese.

5. Persons who have not canceled their Chinese household registration and resident identity card shall apply after cancellation.

Hotline for Information and Supervision: +86-10-12367

WeChat Official Account of Exit-Entry Administration Department of Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau: Beijing Gong'an Churujing

Related website: www.bjgaj.gov.cn/→Online Services→Foreigners→Visa/Stay or Residence Permit Application.

· Foreigners residing in China who apply for the extension of the duration of stay shall file their applications at least 7 days prior to the expiry of the validity period on their visas.

· During the period when the applicant's passport or other travel document is under legal custody of the exit-entry authority for the issuance of visa or resident permit, the applicant may, bearing the receipt notice of the application herein, travel and reside legally within the territory of China.

· The exit and entry administration authority of the public security organ may verify the purpose of application through such means as interview, telephone inquiry and on-the-spot investigation.

· Decisions made by the exit-entry administration of public security organ on rejecting applications for extension or reissuance of ordinary visa, or on not issuing foreigners' stay or residence permits or not extending the duration of residence shall be final.

The right to interpret this Instruction shall reside in the Exit-Entry Administration Department of Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau.