Appointment for Application 2.jpg

Applicant-Eligibility.jpgForeigners who pay a short-term visit to their family members, who are Chinese citizen or foreigners with permanent residence status and residing in Beijing. The kinship includes spouse, parents, the spouse's parents, children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, and children's spouse.


1. Valid passport or other international travel documents.

2. Completely filled VISA / STAY PERMIT / RESIDENCE PERMIT APPLICATION  FORM with recent half-length, white background, bareheaded, full-faced color photo (3.5x5.3 cm). Please fill in the application form in black ink or sign pen.

3. Valid accommodation registration of the applicant provided by the local police station or hotel of present residence.

4. Certificate letters of family relationship or kinship.

a. Q2 Visa holders shall submit supportive documents on family relationship or kinship, such as Marriage Certificate, Birth Certificate (or equivalent document ) or notarial Certificate.

b. Non-Q2 Visa holders, who plan to apply for the renewal of Q2 Visa after entry of China, shall submit supportive documents such as Marriage Certificate, Birth Certificate (or equivalent document ), Adoption Certificate or notarial Certificate and other relevant supportive document on their family relationship or kinship issued by their national authorities, which shall be authenticated by the Chinese Embassy in their Country.

Note: If one or more of the aforesaid documents could not be provided, the applicant may voluntarily provide other relative supporting documents. As for following applications, if the family member has not changed as in the first time application, no supportive document of family relationship or kinship is needed.

5. Personal ID of the person who is to be visited:

a. The ID of a Chinese Mainland resident refers to Beijing Household Register (or Temporary Residence Certificate of Beijing, Residence Permit or the Certificate of Work and Residence in Beijing and ID Card.)

b. The ID of an overseas Chinese refers to a Chinese passport, Permanent Residence Permit of present residence country, accommodation registration form at the present residence with a validity over 6 months.

c. The ID of residents of Hong Kong or Macao SAR refers to Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao residents, and accommodation registration form at the present residence with a validity over 6 months or Resident Permit For Hong Kong and Macao Residents.

d. The ID of residents of Taiwan refers to Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan residents, and accommodation registration form at the present residence with a validity over 6 months or Resident Permit For Taiwan Residents.

e. The ID of a foreigner refers to the Permanent Residence Permit for Foreigners.


1. For application of Q2 visa extension, foreigners can apply for extending duration of stay for no more than 180 days longer.

2. For application of Q2 visa renewal, foreigners can apply for renew zero, one, two or multiple visa with period of validity for no more than 1 year and duration of stay for less than 180 days. The accumulative total duration of stay must not exceed 1 year from the date of entry according to the renewal of Q2 visa.

3. The extension for a longer duration of Q2 visa is only valid for this referred entry and does not affect the entry times and period of validity of the original visa. The accumulated length of extension shall not exceed the original duration of stay specified in the visa.


1. The applicant shall go through a face-to-face interview. However, for applicants who are aged under 16 or above 60 and inconvenient to travel due to disability, or apply for an extension of residence permit, the relative of applicant or a particular service agency can submit the application on behalf of the applicant (a copy of the trustee's ID is required). Nonetheless, if the Exit-Entry Administration Department notifies the applicant that an interview is necessary, the applicant must go through the interview personally.

2. For the above-stated materials, the original documents need to be verified, and the photocopies submitted.

3. Any application material in foreign language (except English) should be translated into Chinese.

4. Applicant who doesn't nullify China's household registration should apply after the cancellation of household registration.

5. Foreigners under 18 who submit the application for the first time in China shall prepare the Birth Certificate or equivalent document, passports and permanent resident permit of parents and other relative documents as certification of nationality.


1. Foreigners residing in China who apply for the extension of the duration of stay shall file their applications at least 7 days prior to the expiry of the validity period on their visas.

2. During the period when the applicant's passport or other travel document is under legal custody of the exit-entry authority for the issuance of visa or resident permit, the applicant may, bearing the receipt notice of the application herein, travel and reside legally  within the territory of China.

3. The exit and entry administration authority of the public security organ may verify the purpose of application through such means as interview, telephone inquiry and on-the-spot investigation.

4. Decisions made by the exit-entry administration of public security organ on rejecting applications for extension or reissuance of ordinary visa, or on not issuing foreigners' stay or residence permits or not extending the duration of residence shall be final.

The right to interpret this Instruction shall reside in the Exit-Entry Administration Department of Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau.