Appointment for Application 2.jpg


1. Foreign nationals of Chinese origin who pay a short-term visit to their foreign family members residing in Beijing for work or study, including spouse, parents, the spouse's parents, children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren and children's spouse.

2. Foreign nationals of Chinese origin who intend to stay in Beijing for other private purposes.


1. Valid passport or other international travel documents.

2. Completely filled VISA / STAY PERMIT / RESIDENCE PERMIT APPLICATION FORM with recent half-length, white background, bareheaded, full-faced color photo (3.5x5.3 cm). Please fill in the application form in black ink or sign pen.

3. Valid accommodation registration form of the applicant obtained from local police station or hotel of present residence.

4. Supporting materials on the identification of foreign nationals of Chinese origin as follows:

a. Applicants of former Chinese nationality shall provide the former personal ID card, domicile registration certificate, Chinese passport, certificate of the renunciation of Chinese nationality issued by the Ministry of Public Security and other relevant materials.

b. Applicants whose parents, any or both of whom, are foreign national of Chinese origin, shall provide supporting materials relating to the former Chinese nationality of the parent(s), the applicant's birth certificate or equivalent document and other relevant materials.

c. Applicants whose parents, any or both of whom, are Chinese citizen, shall provide personal ID of the Chinese nationality of the parent(s), the applicant's birth certificate or equivalent document and other relevant materials.

5. Foreign nationals of Chinese origin, who are visiting their relatives in Beijing shall submit the following documents:

a. Residence permit of the family members to be visited.

b. Supporting documents on family relationship:

i. S2 holders shall provide marriage certificate, birth certificate or equivalent document, certificate of family relationship or kinship, etc.

ii. Non-S2 holders, for the renewal of S2 after entry of China, shall provide marriage certificate, birth certificate or equivalent document and other certificates of family relationship or kinship that issued by the competent government authorities or notary public office of their residing country, which shall be authenticated by the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in the relevant country.

Note: If one or more of the aforesaid documents could not be provided, the applicant may voluntarily provide other relative supporting documents. As for following applications, if the family member has not changed as in the first time application, no supportive document of family relationship or kinship is needed.

6. Applicants of other private business shall submit relative supporting documents that providing specific information of the private business or humanitarian issues.


1. The family visitors may apply for an extension with validity of up to 180 days while applicants of other purposes may apply for an extension up to 90 days.

2. Non-S2 visa holders may apply for a visa renewal with the validity of less than 5 year, the stay duration of less than 180 days and multiple entries. However the accumulative duration of stay with the renewed visa could not exceed 1 year from the date of the latest entry of China.


1. The applicant shall go through a face-to-face interview. However, for applicants who are aged under 16 or above 60 and inconvenient to travel due to disability, or apply for an extension of residence permit, the relative of applicant or a particular service agency can submit the application on behalf of the applicant (a copy of the trustee's ID is required). Nonetheless, if the Exit-Entry Administration Department notifies the applicant that an interview is necessary, the applicant must go through the interview personally.

2. For the above-stated materials, the original documents need to be verified, and the photocopies submitted.

3. Any application material in foreign language (except English) should be translated into Chinese.

4. Applicant who doesn't nullify China's household registration should apply after the cancellation of household registration.

5. Foreigners under 18 who submit the application for the first time in China shall prepare the Birth Certificate or equivalent document, passports and permanent resident permit of parents and other relative documents as certification of nationality.


1. Foreigners residing in China who apply for the visa extension shall file their applications to the exit and entry administration department of public security bureau of the local governments at or above the county level of the present residing place at least 7 days prior to the expiry of the validity period on their visa.

2. The valid period of visa issued to the applicant shall not be exceeding the valid date of the bear's valid passport or other international travel document.

3. During the period when the applicant's passport or other travel document is under legal custody of the exit-entry authority for the issuance of visa, the applicant may, bearing the receipt notice of the application herein, reside legally within the territory of China.

4. The exit and entry administration authority of the public security organ may verify the purpose of application through such means as interview, telephone inquiry and on-the-spot investigation.

5. Decisions made by the exit-entry administration of public security organ on rejecting applications for visa extension or reissuance, or on not issuing foreigners' stay or residence permits or not extending the duration of residence shall be final.

The right to interpret this Instruction shall reside in the Exit-Entry Administration Department of Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau.