People shall undergo a physical examination if they are:
1. Foreigners who apply to reside on a permanent basis, obtain employment, study or stay in China for one year or longer, and have reached the age of 16 (Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan residents and Chinese citizens who have settled abroad shall comply with the requirements applicable to foreigners).
2. Returning Chinese citizens who have lived abroad for more than 3 months.
3. Foreigners or Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan compatriots under the age of 16 who apply for physical examinations at local health centers.
Local health centers
Contact Information: Phone numbers of the local health centers
Physical examination: From Monday to Friday (excepting national statutory holidays), 08:00-11:00
Verification: From Monday to Friday (excepting national statutory holidays), 08:00-11:30 and 13:30-17:00
Notes: In the event of any differences, the actual processing hours of local health centers shall prevail.
1. Appointment receipt
2. Identification documents
One original and photocopy of the passport, the Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents, or the Exit-Entry Permit for Traveling to and from Hong Kong and Macao (photo page + visa page/visa-free entry page + information change page).
Two identical 3.3 x 4.8 cm colored bareheaded photos taken within the past 6 months.
3. Additional documents are required under the following circumstances:
A. Application for work residence permit: The original and photocopy of the employment certificate issued by the local administration of foreign expert affairs.
B. Application for student residence permit: The original and photocopy of the student card or admission notice, and the original and photocopy of the Visa Application for Study in China (Form JW201 or Form JW202).
If you have undergone a physical examination in an overseas medical institution within the past 6 months in accordance with the items on the form of Physical Examination Record for Foreigner, please bring all the examination reports and the original form of Physical Examination Record for Foreigner stamped by the overseas medical institution to the health center and apply for verification:
A. The input fields of the form of Physical Examination Record for Foreigner should be filled out in Chinese or English, and the date of issuance should be clear. The form is valid within six months from the date of issuance. This form must include the photo of the examinee (with the official seal of the hospital), the results of the physical examination, the signature of the doctor, and the official seal of the hospital (the same as the official seal on the photo).
B. The physical examination shall proceed in accordance with the Certificate of Health Examination for International Traveler, and its result shall be attached with an X-ray report (or X-ray film), electrocardiogram drawing or report, laboratory test report (covering at least HIV and syphilis), ultrasound report, and other original reports or test results.
C. The physical examination and the issuance of the physical examination report must be carried out by the local public hospital. If it is carried out by a private hospital or clinic, the physical examination report shall first be notarized locally.
D. If the content of the physical examination report needs to be certified by the Chinese consulate (embassy) in a foreign country, the applicant shall provide the health center staff with the certification proof or certification label of the embassy.
E. Two identical 3.5 x 4.9 cm colored bareheaded photos taken within the past 6 months.
Please note: If there is no certification proof or label of the Chinese consulate (embassy) in a foreign country, or if fields are missing or unclear in the submitted form of Physical Examination Record for Foreigner, or if the form does not come with original reports, the consulting physician will add corresponding items of physical examination on a case-by-case basis to meet verification requirements.
Components of Physical Examination
Internal medicine, otorhinolaryngology, stomatology, ECG examination, chest X-ray, abdominal ultrasound examination, and laboratory-related components.
1. The physical examination fee is generally 430 RMB per person, and the verification fee is 60 RMB per person. In the event of any differences, the actual charging standards of local health centers shall prevail.
2. The statutory foreign nationals who meet the following conditions will be exempted from the physical examination fee:
A. The verification fee will be exempted if the foreign national holds the Physical Examination Record for Foreigner issued by an overseas medical institution for review and verification. If there are any missing items in the Physical Examination Record for Foreigner, a physical examination of the corresponding item will be performed free of charge.
B. Any personnel entering China and who apply to work and stay in China for one year or more can have a free physical examination if they provide the following documents:
- The original and photocopy of the Notification Letter of Foreigner's Work Permit in the People's Republic of China issued by the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security and the Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs;
- The original and photocopy of the valid Z Visa or R Visa page.
C. Any personnel entering China who apply to stay in China for one year or more can have a free physical examination if they provide the following documents:
- The original and photocopy of the admissions notice of the educational institution indicating a study period of more than one year. The admissions notice must have the seal of the educational institution.
- The original and photocopy of the Visa Application for Study in China (Form JW201 or JW202) indicating a study period of more than 1 year. The form must have the seal of the accepting unit;
- The original and photocopy of the valid X1 visa.
Free physical examinations for foreigners are limited to the items listed in the Physical Examination Record for Foreigner; extra charges may apply for any additional physical examinations and vaccination items.
1. After passing the physical examination or the verification, the applicant or another person entrusted shall collect the documents at the issuance window with the Document Collection Notice within the time period specified by that notice.
2. If an abnormality is found in the physical examination and a re-examination is required, the applicant shall bring the notification of physical abnormalities, his or her passport, Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents or Exit-Entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macao, and a recently taken bareheaded photo to the health center for re-examination within the required time period.
3. If one fails to pass the verification and needs to undergo all the necessary additional statutory physical examinations for health management, he or she shall bring the passport, Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents or Exit-Entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macao, and two 3.3 x 4.8 cm bareheaded photos to undergo the said physical examinations between 08:00 -11:00 Monday to Friday (excepting statutory holidays).
1. Personnel entering China must ensure they complete the health management procedures by themselves within 15 days after entry so as not to affect the subsequent employment and residence procedures.
2. Fasting for five hours before physical examination is necessary, but drinking water is acceptable.
3. Payment can be made by cash, Alipay, WeChat, and Chinese bank cards.