The University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) has set up the UCAS Scholarship for International Students to sponsor young talents all over the world to pursue Master’s or Doctoral degree, or attend courses, conduct research or pay academic visits at UCAS faculties/CAS institutes. The Scholarship also encourages international graduate students currently studying at foreign universities to come for study on joint programs.
The scholarship consists of both a full scholarship and a partial scholarship. The full scholarship provides tuition waiver, monthly stipend, basic accommodation and medical insurance; while the partial scholarship covers some items of the Full. Since 2016, the Scholarship has been majorly sponsoring postgraduates.
II. Scholarship Coverage
1. Tuition fee exemption by UCAS: Doctoral students would be exempted from a tuition fee of CNY ¥40,000/year; master students would be exempted from a tuition fee of CNY ¥30,000/year; senior visiting students would be exempted from a tuition fee of CNY ¥3,000/month; the regular visiting student would be exempted from a tuition fee of CNY ¥2,600/month.
2. Monthly stipend: UCAS provides monthly stipend of CNY ¥2,500 for Doctoral students, senior visiting students and students on joint programs, and CNY ¥2,000 for Master students and regular visiting students. In addition, host supervisor and UCAS faculty/CAS institute (hereinafter referred to as faculty/institute) provide research assistantship for awardees considering their academic performances. The total amounts of monthly stipend will be no less than CNY ¥3,500 for Doctoral students, senior visiting students and students on joint programs, and CNY ¥3,000 for Master students and regular visiting students.
3. Accommodation: UCAS provides basic accommodation to full scholarship awardees from faculties/institutes located in Beijing. As for awardees from CAS institutes located outside Beijing, they would be provided with basic accommodation when attending the concentrated study at UCAS, while their host institutes would help to provide accommodation or solve accommodation-related problems when awardees are with them, and the awardees shall pay for relevant expenses as requested by the institutes.
4. Medical Insurance: The insurance premium is CNY ¥800/year and CNY ¥400/half year.
III. Duration (with NO EXTENSION)
1. Master students: no longer than 36 months
2. Doctoral students: no longer than 36 months
3. Students on joint programs: 6-24months
4. Regular and Senior visiting students: 6-24 months
IV. General conditions for applicants:
1. Meet the admission criteria for UCAS international students (please refer to UCAS call for applications for International Students);
2. Get acceptance by a host supervisor and approval by the UCAS faculty/CAS institute that the supervisor is affiliated with;
3. Have an appropriate attitude toward learning and scientific research and have outstanding academic performance;
4. Have not accepted any other sponsorship at the time of application;
5. Age requirements:
a) Master’s degree candidates: Be maximum age of 30 years.
b) Doctoral degree candidates: Be maximum age of 35 years.
c) Students on joint programs: No age limit.
d) Regular and senior visiting students: Be maximum age of 40 years.
6. Be proficient in English or Chinese. Applicants whose native language is not English should provide unexpired TOEFL or IELTS scores. TOEFL scores should be 90 or higher, and IELTS scores should be 6.5 or higher. Applicants are not required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score only if their: Native language is English, or Major undergraduate courses are conducted in English/Chinese, which should be stated in transcripts, or New HSK Band 5 passed with over 200 scores.
7. Other requirements on applicants on joint programs:
a) Applicants should be currently studying at higher institutions abroad.
b) The higher institution abroad the applicant is affiliated with should have signed relevant collaboration and exchange agreement with CAS/UCAS/CAS institute.
c) Awarded student should register before the November of 2018.
d) The academic visit to or joint culture at CAS should last for no shorter than 6 months.
e) Other requirements on visiting students:
f) Scholars should register before the November of 2018.
g) Scholars shall be further educated for no shorter than 6 months.
h) Note：Students who are currently studying at higher institutions in China cannot apply (with exception for this year’s graduates).
V. Step By Step Guideline
1. CHECK ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
2. FIND AN ELIGIBLE HOST SUPERVISOR AFFILIATED WITH UCAS FACULTY or CAS INSTITUTE THAT AGREES TO ACCEPT YOU.
3. SUBMIT BOTH OF YOUR ADMISSION APPLICATION and SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION VIA THE ONLINE SYSTEM. http://adis.ucas.ac.cn
4. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED:
a) Passport which has at least 2 years validity (only pages showing personal and validity details are needed);
b) Full-face bust photo with 2-inch;
c) Complete CV with a brief introduction of research experience;
d) Original scanned copy of degree certificates；
e) Degree certificates;
f) Original scanned copy of transcripts;
g) Proof of knowledge of English and/or Chinese;
h) Detailed research proposal;
i) Photocopies of all the title pages and abstracts of maximum 5 published academic papers (if available). Please do not provide photocopies of unpublished papers;
j) TWO reference letters (NOT the host supervisor) familiar with you and your work (signed, dated and on official headed paper with contact phone number and email address)
k) Foreigner Physical Examination Form
VI. Contact Information
International Students Office
University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
No.80 Zhongguancun East Road, Haidian District, Beijing, 100190, China
Coordinator: Ms. HU Menglin