The People's Government of Beijing Municipality
Mayors' Profile Departments Administrative Districts Reports Laws & Policies
Beijing Info
Facts Culture Sister Cities Sci & Tech Videos
Most Requested Investing in Beijing Working in Beijing Studying in Beijing Living in Beijing Travelling in Beijing Consuming in Beijing
Contact Us
FAQs Jingjing Feedback Surveys
News Laws & Policies Photos Activities Specials


[Photo via]

When banking financial institutions (hereinafter referred to as banks) create a personal bank account for an applicant, it is required to verify identity of the applicant, validity of the provided identity documents, consistency between the applicant and the identity documents, and the applicant's willingness to have an account. Account holders shall not rent, lend, buy or sell bank settlement accounts.

Bank account for overseas individuals may be created with the following valid identity documents:

1. Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents for residents of Hong Kong and Macao special administrative regions;

2. Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents for residents of Taiwan; 

3. Passport or Foreigner's Permanent Residence Card for foreign nationals (Foreign residents in border regions will be handled in accordance with relevant provisions on border trade settlement);

4. Other identification documents as required by laws and administrative regulations.

Banks may require applicants to present other supporting documents when there is difficulty to accurately determine the identities of account applicants with valid identity documents. Supporting identity documents for overseas individuals may include but are not limited to:

1. Hong Kong and Macao ID cards for residents of Hong Kong and Macao special administrative regions;

2. Valid proof of identity of residence in Taiwan for residents of Taiwan; 

3. ID cards foreign nationals and embassy and consulate staff, motor vehicle driving license or identification documents attached with personal photos; 

4. Tax payment certificate, water/electricity/gas payment bill, or other tax vouchers.